[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Jeremy Thurgood jerith at jerith.za.net
Thu Aug 3 10:39:01 SAST 2006

Stephan February wrote:
> Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
>
>>public class Foo {
>>   public static void main() {
>>   }
>>

>  >>>>>>>>.
> import Pyro.core
>
> class TransportXML(Pyro.core.ObjBase):
>     def __init__(self):
>         Pyro.core.ObjBase.__init__(self)
>
>     def setXML(self, xml_in):
>         pass
>
>  >>>>>>>>

The difference is that by the time the latter is required, it can
usually be assumed that a student has already had exposure to the
basics of the language.  With Java, boilerplate is necessary from
the start.  I haven't yet encountered a programming language that
doesn't have a certain level of complexity past the basics, which
is a good thing.  Without linguistic complexity there is no power
to write complex software.  Python gives you the ability to build
from:

print "Hello world"

to:

def hello(name):
     print "Hello ", name

to:

class Greetings:
     def __init__(self, name):
         self.name = name

     def hello(self):
         print "Hello ", name

     def goodbye(self):
         print "Goodbye ", name

in easy steps without having to dive immediately in to the details of
OOP or ignore "magic" that has to be there.

--J