[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Stephan February clug at adeptiva.com
Thu Aug 3 10:35:02 SAST 2006

Andre Truter wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 16:08 +0800, Stephan February wrote:
>

>> I think we are getting into a People's Front of Judea vs. a Judean
>> People's Front -type situation here. How is developing software on a
>> Free Platform using non-free tools different from _using_ Free Software
>> on a non-free platform ?
>>

> If you use skype, you are not spreading more non-free stuff as you are
> not creating anything, you are only using it.  Nothing new exists when
> you stop using it.  Maybe a few log files, but that is not something
> anyone else would be interested in.
>
> When you write a program in Java, you create something new that depends
> on java.  When you stop coding, your application still exist and it is
> still dependent on the java interpreter.
> So, you create more non-oss stuff by coding in Java.
> Skype does not create anything

Not true. Using Skype creates *huge* momentum for a proprietary platform
that gets *everyone* locked-in in the long run. Skype is as harmless to
VOIP as Windows was as an OS.
Why not use OpenWengo instead of Skype ?

I am not opposed to FOSS advocacy. In fact I consider myself a FOSS
advocate. I *do* however consider it a double-standard to advocate the
use of Skype on this list but religiously opposing the suggestion of
Java as a programming language.

Cheers
Stephan