[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Stephan February clug at adeptiva.com
Thu Aug 3 10:21:40 SAST 2006

Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
> Brendon Gleeson wrote:
>> I no longer use PHP, but basics like variables, functions, *ahem*
>> classes (maybe ignore that one), and basic flow of script can be
>> learned in a down and dirty way..
>
> That's my gripe about teaching Java as a beginner's language - they
> can't be expected to understand what:
>
> public class Foo {
>    public static void main() {
>    }
> }

Programming is *very* non-obvious to a newbie. Would they understand?:

import Pyro.core

class TransportXML(Pyro.core.ObjBase):
    def __init__(self):
        Pyro.core.ObjBase.__init__(self)

    def setXML(self, xml_in):
        pass

Newbies are expected to learn. Python is by no stretch of the
imagination a language which maps cleanly from natural-language (english
e.g.) into code. Language syntax is learnt, and this takes time.

Cheers
Stephan