[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Jonathan Hitchcock jonathanh at adept.co.za
Thu Aug 3 09:39:52 SAST 2006

Brendon Gleeson wrote:
> I no longer use PHP, but basics like variables, functions, *ahem*
> classes (maybe ignore that one), and basic flow of script can be learned
> in a down and dirty way..

That's my gripe about teaching Java as a beginner's language - they
can't be expected to understand what:

public class Foo {
    public static void main() {
    }
}

means at first, they just have to know that it's voodoo, until you can
teach them later.  I'm much happier with:

print "Hello world"

Which, would you believe, prints "Hello World".

> Yep, try python. Write a little program that resizes a couple of images
> places a watermark on them and uploads them to a FTP site in less than
> 10 lines... ok that's not really a challenge.. Yep try Python..

I propose "Vaya con Python" (courtesy Deon Erasmus) as CLUG policy! ;-)