[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Jeremy Thurgood jerith at jerith.za.net
Thu Aug 3 09:06:52 SAST 2006

Doug Falconer wrote:
> On 8/2/06, Andrew <westlake at polka.co.za> wrote:
>
>>Firstly i am a new user to linux (newbie), I wish to start learning to
>>program,which language is recommend as a starting block for a new user.
>>I wish have a good solid foundation to which i can being to build on.
>>Any help would greatly appreciated.
>

> I don't know how easily you can search the archives so I will forward
> you off-list a couple of interesting threads on this.

Python (my current favourite) is a good place to start.  There's a
pretty good introductory book available online at
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/ if you're happy to learn on your own.

Also, you may want to join The Programmer's Art (http://tpa.org.za/), a
group/mailing list a bunch of us Durban people started before I left.
While the monthly meetings are probably a bit far away, the people on
the list are generally helpful.

Would there be any interest in starting a Cape Town chapter of TPA,
perchance?

--J