[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Brendon Gleeson brendon at gleesonprop.co.za
Thu Aug 3 09:05:40 SAST 2006

Andrew wrote:
> Firstly i am a new user to linux (newbie), I wish to start learning to
> program,which language is recommend as a starting block for a new user.
> I wish have a good solid foundation to which i can being to build on.
> Any help would greatly appreciated.

I would suggest a "scripting language", whether or not you want to do web
development or not is your call, I started off with ASP which I loathed and
stagnated on, then I found PHP - which is probably the best web scripting
language to learn with, now I use RubyOnRails.

Later on you will find that it is much quicker and will teach you some good
coding practises if you use some sort of web framework with MVC
(RubyOnRails, CakePHP...), something that will only hit you after wallowing
in your own putrid coding for a year or 2...(unless you're a natural born
coder)

If you don't want to do Web development, I would strongly suggest either
Python and/or Ruby which incidently are very much alive in the web
scripting arena, should you wish to try it out...

I can't really give you any specifics unfortunately, I just learn from
googling my questions or using IRC/mailinglists/usenet...