[CLUG-chat] LCD recomedation?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Aug 1 22:54:34 SAST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 12:49 +0200, Mark Ter Morshuizen wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 12:45, Brendon Gleeson wrote:
> > crispness / clarity is paramount
>
> Hi Brendon,
>
> A good quality CRT is the way to go then.

It's probably a bit late in the thread already, but what the heck - I
have to second Mark on this. A medium range crt still beats the pants
off even high range LCDs, and they're cheaper as well. LCDs and plasmas
are often hailed as the best since since the last best thing, but if you
are after clarity and crispness over all other factors, only a crt will
do. I'm typing this on a notebook with a kick-butt 1680x1050 LCD with no
flicker at all. Next to it on the desktop is my trusty Samsung 955 19"
that I crank all the way up to 1792x1344 @ 60HZ. It weighs a ton, is
over 45cm deep and the 60Hz flicker is noticeable. BUT I can comfortably
and continuously use that crt for hours on end. 30 mins with the
notebook and my eyes feel like sandpaper, I need to go outside and blink
for a minute. And forget about watching video under any circumstances.
Other nearby test subjects/victims report similar results.

LCDs have a benefit with power savings, if desk space is limited/beyond
your control, or your usage is infrequent. They suck big time with
picture quality. Unless the environment is such that only an LCD will
fit in the space, I recommend you don't write crt's off yet.

alan