[CLUG-chat] OT: Laptop

Hendrik Visage hvjunk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:09:28 SAST 2005

On 9/8/05, Andre Truter <linux at trusoft.co.za> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 09:17 +0200, Francois Loubser wrote:
> > Does anybody know where I can buy this laptop? Price?
> >
> > "Research & development company AtomChip have announced a
> > new 6.8GHz 1TB RAM and 2TB HDD laptop, which is "coming
> > soon". Apparently it does not use a hard disc, instead it
> > is based on "solid state AtomChip(r) optoelectronics". A new
> > "non-volatile Quantum-Optical" type of RAM is used. Other
> > features include voice commands, "Num Lock mode, Caps Lock
> > mode, Scroll Lock mode". They're spoiling us." If
> > Nintendogs has taught me anything, it's that voice
> > recognition is awesome and should be used for everything.
> > *cough*. And also to be skeptical of this many buzzwords.
>
> Hmmm.  Looks very suspicious to me.

1) Define "suspicious"... we are OT??

> They describe the memory to use a
> laser without any moving parts.
> I fail to understand how a laser can access stuff in the chip without
> moving.

2) The problem again? how can you view different colours on a LCD/LED
display "without anything moving"

> It does not compute...

3) That's just *way* it computes ;^P

> There are also many more inconsistencies, like the memory thingy that
> use a standard jack plug - what would happen if you by accident plugged
> your earphones into the memory slot...

4) You get a memory upgrade...
5) or a memory transplant...
6) or a way to access your own memory bank

> If this thing was so technically advanced, then surely they would use
> better connectors that are not compatible the household electronic
> items..

7) Why??
8) it make sense, as you can just buy them memory connectors from
AudioVision instead of special import order...

> This looks like a "spoeg-en-plak" mockup of stuff build it someone's
> garage...

9) Most probably ;^)

--
Hendrik Visage