[CLUG-chat] Prison Linux Users

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Mon May 9 11:27:42 SAST 2005

Chandre de Wet wrote:
> If anyone is interested in making contact... You can get their contact
> details from me off-list. From what I understand it's a couple of guys,
> and they were resorting to go back to windows, but hopefully they're
> encouraged again after our chat.

Just a bit of background...

One of the prisoners at Malmesbury Prison got hold of Ubuntu Linux and
installed it. He's with a bunch of other prisoners who are studying
"I.T." at the moment, and they are all very excited about Linux. They
have lots of time to play around, but like Chandre said, they are not
allowed to have Internet or E-Mail access, for obvious reasons.

I spoke to the head of education at the prison, and he said he'll allow
incoming and outgoing calls, it just needs to go through him. We are
also allowed to fax information through to them, as long as he checks it.

This is very premature, but we (Shuttleworth Foundation) might be
installing some tuxlab-like labs into some prisons. Malmesbury prison
already has 8 computers, but they're not networked and don't allow for
much playing around (especially with stuff like email server, etc).

I'm going to visit the prison next month, and I'm thinking to negotiate
that we can set up a list that the education head can moderate, so that
they can at least get some feeling of a linux community.

If we do install a system, it will most likely be a 10 PC thin client
system, and they'll be able to keep their existing 8 PC's and turn them
into their own "play" servers. Although, like I said, this is very
premature and I'll only have more details near the 25th of June.

Will keep you updated... perhaps through a wiki page of the project :)

-Jonathan