[CLUG-chat] FreeNX

Shawn Jooste (CSP) jooste at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 11:47:29 SAST 2005

On 6/24/05, Stephan February <clug at adeptiva.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I recently read an interesting article about FreeNX
> (http://freenx.berlios.de/). If you've ever wanted a nice, fast and FREE
> (libre) XServer for Windows, this will get the job done.
> I've tested it, and found it works smoother and faster then VNC. Here are some
> of the reasons I like FreeNX.
>
>     1) I can setup a single icon on a Windows desktop, which will launch a
>         "single" application on the server, e.g. running Kontact or Evolution
>         remotely without getting a full KDE/Gnome desktop.
>
>     2) Even the commercial pricing is much lower then what I've seen for
>         commercial Win32 XServers
>
>     3) NoMachine's compressing proxy will outperform any regular
>        Win32 XServer solution.
>
>     4) This is a great leap forward in mixed environment computing,
>         i.e. providing Windows desktop users with cool Linux desktop apps.
>          cool Linux desktop apps while

I think the use of this sort of product can take people a long way in
the gradual migration to Linux. I am working with a number of
companies who would like to make the switch but switching 20+
workstations and everything they do is not the most cost-efective /
practical way of doing things.

But Using this type of app does make it easier to do an application by
application switchover.

Shawn