[CLUG-chat] Are these guys for real?

Hendrik Visage hvjunk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:46:13 SAST 2005

On 6/7/05, Price,Neil <nprice at gibb.co.za> wrote:
> On Mon, June 6, 2005 9:22 pm, Hamish Whittal said:
> > Openvoice. Have you been to their web site? Looks like they just cut and
> > pasted from the Asterisk doco's.
> >
> > Had a real bad experience with them....actually with one of them
> > really...who basically said that they were not prepared to assist in ANY
> > way...even questions about some hardware they presumably sell. Said
> > their IP was theirs and they were not prepared to share ANY of their
> > experiences with the rest of the OSS community regarding asterisk.

Okay, the idea from them: They basically package a "complete" solution
in a box and supply it to their resellers/channel partners. The
channel partners are doing the installation/support/etc. The become a
channel partner, you'll have to fork out a couple of thousand rand for
the training and the first "demo" box or something, and then sell a
certain $$$$$amount per year. Yes, it's a blackbox solution.

> The whole thing stunk of opportunism. I'm interested to hear my
> gut-feeling about them was correct.

I'll keep my mouth shut on that one...

> We have people in this very lug who have grokked Asterisk thoroughly (not
> me!).

Yes. If you have a complex setup, rather talk to me to get molo.co.za
involved :)

--
Hendrik Visage