[CLUG-chat] where can I find a good laptop?

Andre Truter linux at trusoft.co.za
Tue Jun 21 11:48:31 SAST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 11:22 +0200, Charles Oertel wrote:
> Raoul Snyman wrote:
> > i know battery life is better, but i'm actually not concerned with that.
> > the laptop will be plugged into the wall almost all the time...
> >
> > what other advice can you offer?
>
> The few times when you will be using the laptop _not_ plugged in to the
> wall, will be _critical_ times (otherwise you wouldn't be doing it).  I
> swear you'll be grateful for a better battery life.
>
> Plus, less heat generated = longer mobo and chip life (less heating and
> cooling etc).

I have a Pentium M-based laptop (1.8GHz) and it performs the same as the
P4 that was available at that time (2.8GHz). Maybe even better.

The guy that used to sit next to me have a P4-based laptop (also HP) and
every now and again the thing would start up all it's fans.  It is quite
noisy and as soon as he starts to do any work on it, it would sound like
the laptop is trying to take off.

With the P4 laptops, you also need to make sure that you don't get dust
buildup in the cooling ducts.
It blows more air through it, so it collects dust faster.  The more dust
it collects, the hotter it runs, the longer the fans stay on, the more
dust it collects.
Evil loop.

The P-M chips have been designed for working in a compact environment
and the architecture is such that it does more per clock pulse, so even
though the clock speed is lower, the amount of work done is more per
clock cycle.
The AMD chips also runs at a lower clock speed due to this.
The superb RISC processors have been doing this for ages.

Don't get caught up in Intel's MHz marketing.

--
Andre Truter | Software Engineer | Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 | AIM: trusoftzaf | http://www.trusoft.co.za

~ The box said: "Windows 95 or better", so I installed Linux ~