[CLUG-chat] device to device copy

ready steady at eddie.org.za
Mon Jun 20 18:23:47 SAST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 15:26 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 June 2005 14:45, ready wrote:
> > this is driving me mad but
> >
> > i have a dual boot system with an ntfs /dev/hdc1 that i want to
> > make an exact copy to /dev/sda1
> >
> > what would be the best what to do this
> >
> > would
> >
> > fdisk make a partition (ntfs?) on the /dev/sda of the exact size
> > of /dev/hdc1
> > give it a file system (does it matter which)
> >
> > then
> >
> > dd if=/dev/hdc1 of=/dev/sda1
> >
> > the /dev/sda drive is a new bigger drive. i want to keep my windows
> > installation but change the distro i am now using. so i want the
> > windows installation as it currently is change the drives and
> > install linux on the new drive but keep my current drive as a
> > backup until i am happy with the new setup.
>
> You have to make sure that low level things like sector and block
> sizes are the same on both drives - tricky at best.
>
> What you propose is unlikely to work, as the Windows installation
> records the various devices etc it uses, and those will now point to
> the wrong places. Your windows bootloader is the first thing that is
> unlikely to work, and you really need Windows running to change that
> and be safe (the old ntfs write support thing)
>
> The only real safe option I know of is to re-install Windows on the
> new device. Maybe some other list member knows a safe way to do it.
>
> alan

ok when through the motions

made a partition the exact size on new disk marked it as ntfs with fdisk
dd the partition across (dd if=/dev/hdc1 of /dev/sda1)

changed drives, booted. remembered the cd for new distro was in my bag
dug it out and found that windows had loaded and was asking for password
so logged on an was happy.

suddenly windows chirps "hay dude is this not a new drive" so i say "err
yes"
and the mighty windows did say to me "ok dude u got to reboot" and i
said "well if i must" and it was done

on boot the beast that is windows does a disk scan and gives me pages of
errors and promptly died.

so it looks like johns idea with norton will be the best way of doing
this.