[CLUG-chat] device to device copy

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Jun 15 15:26:01 SAST 2005

On Wednesday, 15 June 2005 14:45, ready wrote:
> this is driving me mad but
>
> i have a dual boot system with an ntfs /dev/hdc1 that i want to
> make an exact copy to /dev/sda1
>
> what would be the best what to do this
>
> would
>
> fdisk make a partition (ntfs?) on the /dev/sda of the exact size
> of /dev/hdc1
> give it a file system (does it matter which)
>
> then
>
> dd if=/dev/hdc1 of=/dev/sda1
>
> the /dev/sda drive is a new bigger drive. i want to keep my windows
> installation but change the distro i am now using. so i want the
> windows installation as it currently is change the drives and
> install linux on the new drive but keep my current drive as a
> backup until i am happy with the new setup.

You have to make sure that low level things like sector and block
sizes are the same on both drives - tricky at best.

What you propose is unlikely to work, as the Windows installation
records the various devices etc it uses, and those will now point to
the wrong places. Your windows bootloader is the first thing that is
unlikely to work, and you really need Windows running to change that
and be safe (the old ntfs write support thing)

The only real safe option I know of is to re-install Windows on the
new device. Maybe some other list member knows a safe way to do it.

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings.co.za