[CLUG-chat] Robust Hardware

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Wed Jun 8 14:05:07 SAST 2005

Hi

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:36:57PM +0200, Marko Vukovic wrote:
> Jan Groenewald wrote:
> > Something without moving parts. check www.solarpc.com, they have some
> > good ideas.
> So do you know where one can get this hardware in SA?
At the moment you'll have to order on the internet. However, I know they
have several initiatives on the way to donate equipment to SA to
establish a market and to allow local manufacturing (assembling really,
perhaps some manufacturing).

There are other large companies with similar ideas, but not as much
commitment to the concept or as good prices. The idea at themoment
centres around a small VIA motherboard and chip. They make up to 1.5Ghz
with a fan but you'd prefer the 1GHz without a fan. The flash drives can
be as large as you need and serve as a hard drive. The 12v power supply
is more tricky to find. I have a friend in Pretoria who orders the
boards, chips, ram and flash, and builds the power supply. He builds an
aluminium/wood case. I'll ask him if he is interested to speak to you,
which he might be if you want to use his services? Depends what he is
working on now.

Thing is, you can order the parts on the internet, pricewatch.com or
whatever. Then assemble as you see fit. You can order PICS (like
eeprom) if you don't need much space and save on the flash. You can
connect a dip switch to the parallel port and have it switch on to 16
different functions.

If you are putting something in vehicles I take it you are doing a lot
of hardware and software development as well, not just buying something
and plugging it in.

regards,
Jan
--