[CLUG-chat] re: export

Andre Truter andre.truter at intekom.co.za
Sun Oct 5 10:32:36 SAST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 09:46, Dave Jones wrote:
> Anyone care to expalin top me how the export command works, e.g.
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/pkgconfig
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

When you export a variable, you set the variable for that terminal
session and everything that is run from that session, will see that
variable.

> What I'm after is not having to do it time and again.
> I download almost always from source or cvs and it gets to be a drag having to
> export CVSROOT etc.
> I think I can put it in bashrc?
> Vague I know - it's Sunday morning and all.

Yes, adding:
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/pkgconfig
To your .profile file, will set the variable each time a terminal is
fired up or an application is started.  It gets added to your
environment.

AFAIK, adding it to the .profile file is the proper way, because then it
will be set for anything that use th profile.  .bashrc is only for BASH
sessions.

--

Andre Truter    Software Engineer   Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899   AIM: trusoftzaf     http://www.trusoft.za.net