[CLUG-chat] Make Linux skills available, and us some Tom.

Jonathan Carter highvoltage at thepub.co.za
Fri Oct 3 13:11:29 SAST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 22:08, Charles Oertel wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 October 2003 21:38, Dave Jones wrote:
> > They would be creating an awareness of their availabilty and skill sets
>
> I agree - I suspect many companies don't even think of Open Source as a viable
> option because they think that there aren't any skills available.
>
> One refinement that would make such an initiative appeal to my core values
> would be if we could teach/mentor previously disadvantaged people.  Imagine a
> company taking on somebody with very little experience but a whack of
> potential.  This person would be under the supervision of a suitably skilled
> person who would ensure that the job gets done properly.  Eventually, the
> need for mentorship diminishes and the company will have a trained,
> experienced, connected employee of the right demographic in our new SA.
>
> I dream of running classes in my garage for some enthusiastic kids from the
> Cape Flats - fixing up PCs and selling them and learning to program or build
> websites or something.  Just don't quite have the organising ability for
> something like that (yet).
>
> regards
> Charles

You could even go one step further. In my high school, Tygerberg College
gave extra computer lessons in our school's computer room. VERY basic
stuff. Win98, Office, etc. The school didn't really get much from it,
but Tygerberg College did make some money from it. If we could arrange
something like this with the schools, we could surely get something off
the ground, and I'm sure TSF could arrange some computers where there
aren't any. I think high school children are perfectly capable of
learning how to setup linux, some basic administration, and some fun
stuff like telnet, ssh, apache, etc. I think if we put minds together
here, we could really come up with a descent plan. I know this
discussion will more than likely die out, but it is something worthwhile
to condider. I'll print it out and paste it against my wall, that way I
won't forget about it.

Jonathan