[CLUG-chat] Make Linux skills available, and us some Tom.

Charles Oertel charles at finebushpeople.co.za
Thu Oct 2 22:08:18 SAST 2003

On Thursday, 2 October 2003 21:38, Dave Jones wrote:
> They would be creating an awareness of their availabilty and skill sets

I agree - I suspect many companies don't even think of Open Source as a viable
option because they think that there aren't any skills available.

One refinement that would make such an initiative appeal to my core values
would be if we could teach/mentor previously disadvantaged people.  Imagine a
company taking on somebody with very little experience but a whack of
potential.  This person would be under the supervision of a suitably skilled
person who would ensure that the job gets done properly.  Eventually, the
need for mentorship diminishes and the company will have a trained,
experienced, connected employee of the right demographic in our new SA.

I dream of running classes in my garage for some enthusiastic kids from the
Cape Flats - fixing up PCs and selling them and learning to program or build
websites or something.  Just don't quite have the organising ability for
something like that (yet).

regards
Charles