[CLUG-chat] Make Linux skills available, and us some Tom.

Thomas Andrews tandrews at grok.co.za
Thu Oct 2 21:26:56 SAST 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:04:04PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:

> I think a good first step would be to get all the email addresses of the
> unemployed people in the group who's interested, and set up another
> mailing list concerning this. If clug can host it for us, excelent, if
> they don't, we can just create some yahoogroup or something. Then, we
> get together and discuss our skills, assigning different tasks and
> skills to different people. Then we simply take it from there. Create
> some company logo's, think of ideas to raise money for advertising, etc.

You are creating unnecessary hassle for yourselves. Whenever there are
linux jobs available, we get the company to send the job description to
us (jobs at clug.org.za), and it gets posted to clug-announce, as you will
see if you look back through the archives. We do vet the job ads first
though, because we don't want to be a vehicle for completely unrelated
stuff. The jobs don't have to be linux-specific though, just
free-software-related, so eg a post for a python programmer, or a
FreeBSD sysadmin would be eligible candidates. Rule of thumb is "as long
as it's to the advantage of the free software community".

-Thomas