[CLUG-chat] Make Linux skills available, and us some Tom.

Jonathan Carter highvoltage at thepub.co.za
Thu Oct 2 21:03:40 SAST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 18:09, Trevor Fraser wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> After reading your email from Jonathan titled
> [CLUG-chat] Linux (and Open Source) Distribution,
> I thought I should voice another idea I've been having.
>
> There are a lot of us in Cape Town that know the ins and outs of Linux
> very well and could be an asset to Linux projects.  Some of us who are
> unemployed would love to have some off the cuff Linux work, and some of
> us who are employed would love to make some extra tom from some after
> hours Linux work.
>
> On the other side of the coin, there are many companies who could do
> with a Linux sys admin now and again, or on a per project basis, i.e.
> not enough to go out and hire one.  What about having some kind of a
> system where people who now Linux, or a part of it, like lets say
> setting up Sendmail, could be contactable to do this work for somebody.
>
> There would need to be some kind of checking if "this guy can actually
> do what he says he can", so it is not only discovered after it is too
> late, because this could obviously be open for abuse.
>
> How could we make this possible and get it to work?  Any thoughts.
>
> -Trevor.

Hi Trevor

I personally think this is a KICK-ASS idea!

I think a good first step would be to get all the email addresses of the
unemployed people in the group who's interested, and set up another
mailing list concerning this. If clug can host it for us, excelent, if
they don't, we can just create some yahoogroup or something. Then, we
get together and discuss our skills, assigning different tasks and
skills to different people. Then we simply take it from there. Create
some company logo's, think of ideas to raise money for advertising, etc.

How should we do this? Do you think people should send emails to both of
us? Perhaps we should get a mailing list going one way or the other and
send out invites. I think if you look around you'll find lot's of people
willing to participate. Another clug-guy my age emailed me and asked if
he can help me out with my project. There's lots of intelligence and
enthusiasm in Cape Town. I think we should definately get together some
way and discuss it. Maybe even have a clug-talk about this.

Jonathan