[CLUG-chat] Linux (and Open Source) Distribution

Jonathan Carter highvoltage at thepub.co.za
Thu Oct 2 15:41:52 SAST 2003

Hi guys.

I've been without an income for a while now, and I've been thinking of
ways to start making some money without spending a fortune first (since
there isn't a fortune to begin with).

A while ago I ordered Red Hat 9 CD's from the Linux Warehouse since no
one on this list had it at that time and you couldn't get it from the
Cape Adds yet. It cost R245 for the three CD's and another R50 to get it
couriered to Cape Town from Johannesburg (or near Johannesburg anyway).

Since last week I've been seriously thinking about starting something
similar in the Cape, but not only focus on Linux, but open source in
general. This morning when I received the clug anouncement about the
open office distribution, it motivated me even more.

What I'd like to know from you, is, do you feel there is a need for
something like this? I'd probably charge something like R100 for a 3-cd
set including delivery. What I also want to do is buy all those
magazines like linux format, get the best/most requested software from
them, and put it on a CD (or CD-set) people can subscribe to. Also, I'd
like to get a permanent internet connection so that I can keep
downloading software that people regularly want, this will allow other
people with high-speed or permanent internet to save their bandwidth.

You can contact me off-list or on, in either case all suggestions are
welcome. If you know about any other such services, please give me a URL
or email address. I'd like to find out more about them too.

Thank you
Jonathan