[CLUG-chat] An interesting read on the whole SCO thing

Neil Blakey-Milner nbm at mithrandr.moria.org
Wed Jun 25 13:27:51 SAST 2003

On Wed 2003-06-25 (13:21), Erhard Eiselen wrote:
> Again, point taken. I live and learn.
>
> But if I copy from the intro, am I not opening myself for being sued
> over IP or something like that :-)

I know you're joking, but no.  It falls under "fair use" (Chapter 10) in
the Berne convention:

``(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has
already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their
making is compatible with fair practice, and their extent does not
exceed that justified by the purpose, including quotations from
newspaper articles and periodicals in the form of press summaries.''

However, remember:

``(3) Where use is made of works in accordance with the preceding
paragraphs of this Article, mention shall be made of the source, and of
the name of the author, if it appears thereon.''

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm at mithrandr.moria.org