[CLUG-chat] UPS/monitor issues

Piet Ackermann packmann at mweb.co.za
Wed Jun 18 20:22:43 SAST 2003

Hi,

I run 2 pc's off one ups. Both pc's have the monitor power supply taken
from the pc's. Now, whenever I switch on the pc's, the UPS moans softly.
Which is fine, I suppose. But I switch off the monitors when I am not
here, and when I switch on the monitors again, the UPS moans softly
again. Which makes me suspect that the monitors pack quite a punch, pwer
consumption wise.

Question: Why not run the monitors directly from the mains, bypassing
the UPS? This will take the load off the UPS.

Issues:

How much power does a monitor consume when not in sleep mode? I.e. will
it be worth it to bypass the UPS in order to reduce the load on the UPS?

Is a monitor's power consumption similar to a laser printer, surging
greatly at startup?

How sensitive is the average monitor to power surges, necessitating a
UPS for protection?

There are probably other issues, but these are what tickle my fancy
right now.

Any comments?

Cheers,

Piet