[CLUG-chat] Sahara-bad

Jonathan Carter highvoltage at thepub.co.za
Sat Jun 7 13:19:53 SAST 2003

Hi Ashley and Cluggers.

When I finished school, I went to work as a techie at Computer Mania in
Century City. At that stage, all the othe branches technical departments
closed down for some reason, and all the stuff that needed to be fixed came in
to us, including all the things that had to go back to suppliers, etc. The
thing was, we were so understaffed, and we had to work like, 8.5 hours a day
for six days a week, and this for about R1800 a month. Besides that, we were
WAY understaffed. You had to deal with a long que of customers standing in
line with computers to be booked in, answer about three phones that's ringing
at one with customers wanting to know how far their computers is, and then you
have to go and search those computers in the pile too, and in the same time
fix a few of the damn things too. After a while you begin to be imune against
angree customers. The head technician, Leonard, he even chased customers out
of the shop now and again, usually once every hour. The thing is, because you
just can't give everyone good service, and because you really don't care if
you get fired, you actually DO go out of the way for the customers who's had
endless problems and still manages to be friendly. So I agree with you,
friendlyness does play a big problem. I think we as consumers should stop to
look at the prices only. Who cares if you pay R20 more for a hdd if you know
you'll get a little better service once it breaks down? It's like those canned
food at the supermarkets. The cans that cost 9c more tastes about R2 beter
than the less expensive one... that's why I never send my father to do
shopping alone. He'll pay 9c less for something that's definately much
inferior. Oops. I'm on a rant again. I think that's because I just woke up...

JC