[CLUG-chat] Web/Graphic Design Course

Johann Botha joe at frogfoot.net
Wed Oct 30 23:51:03 SAST 2002

Hi Clive                                         >@2002.10.30_16:33:08_+0200

> The Web Development course focuses on ASP pages as this is the easiest of
> the development languages to learn.

> Once she has got to grips with database driven site concepts she could then
> learn php or java etc etc.

> The reason for the focus being ASP is that majority of ISP's
> run a M platform and therefore IIS servers.

> :) ... like I was saying .....

allow me to share some rants and pet hates..

1) Macromedia MX, flash etc.

what is the biggest problem with the web today ?

'functionality'

even the banks dont grasp this word.

have you ever found a Flash page where use of Flash contributed to the
functionality of the site ?

2) Java

dont go there, why is this even perceived as a web backend language ?, not
practical.

3) Most ISP's run IIS/ASP

Most ISPs have to keep some ASP box around in order to get business from
people who believe that most ISPs run IIS. I dont think you'll find anybody
who runs an ISP that will tell you they want to run IIS.

Out of basic principle our ISP does not support IIS/ASP. I would have to get
a wholesale account for buying pain killers (:

my advice for people wanting to get into web design / database backed web
applications..

Learn SQL
Learn to setup/debug Apache on Linux, get your own box to play with
Learn PHP
Learn to use your text editor
Learn to use your database console, MySQL or PostgreSQL
Learn to use SSH for remote admin
Use weblint or http://validator.w3.org/

It may be a good idea not to go on a course, i dont think many training
companies will teach you the practical side and they will most likely not use
Free Software tools.

Just get yourself a project, find a challenge, jump in, read the docs, build
something. I think thats the best way to learn.

Dont get used to GUI web editing tools, they all suck. If you are serious
about building websites there is a good chance you want to colo your server,
so learn to use tools that you can use for remote admin.

--
Regards
 Johann

          'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
                                 - Leonardo da Vinci
 Johann L. Botha      Frogfoot Networks ISP
 joe at frogfoot.net     http://www.frogfoot.net/
 +27.82.562.6167      Built and Managed with Attention to Detail
 +27.21.683.1563
 http://blue.frogfoot.net/