[CLUG-chat] Help establish LUG in Guguletu

Uri Zalk uri at ant.co.za
Fri Oct 25 20:49:19 SAST 2002

For the 486's try RH 6.2. Maybe SUSE up to 6.x. Anything later is likely
to be too bloated. Use latest 2.2 Kernel. Install only what you need. Must
have min 32mb RAM. Set up sufficient swap. Consider running links and pine
from the console and joe as an editor rather than burden yourself with a
GUI.

For the P I, depending on speed, you can go up to RH 7.3, Mdk 8.x
depending on CPU speed, RAM, amount of HDD space and rest of hw
compatibility.

I am running a number of P I 233mz, 64mb to 128mb RAM and lots of HDD
space. Currently with RH 7.3. They function reasonably well but tend to be
a bit frustrating taking too long to load StarOffice 5.2 and or OpenOffice
6.0.

I was running a number of "586" boxes and would not go above RH 6.2 on
them. Both the 486 and 586 would work reasonably well as servers,
gateways, firewalls if they have enough RAM and disk space and you stick
to console rather than GUI. Probably also more secure.

Regards

Uri