[CLUG-chat] Re: [CLUG-tech] OT - Dell Support????

Andre Truter andre.truter at intekom.co.za
Thu Oct 17 20:36:26 SAST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 11:43, Marko Vukovic wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Steven van der Merwe wrote:
>
> >  Sorry for this OT message.
> >
> > A friend of mine emailed Dell support for help with Suse 8.0 and this
> > was the response he got:
> >
> > "As a technician I would request you not to install the Linux operating
> > system which will cause a lot of trouble."
> >
> > #^&%^%$&$^^$
> >

> Shame, poor Ronnie of Dell has been brainwashed by the borg and Dell.
> Weak minded fools...

The funny thing is that Dell have Linux drivers for certain machines on
their web page.  It is in rpm format for RedHat.
I installed RedHat on a Dell at my previous work and I found the Linux
drivers.  IIRC they have a Linux section on their Web site.
This was about a year ago, but I got the impression that they do support
Linux to a degree.

I think that technician is definitely in the dark.

Try these links for "Dell do not support Linux"
http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/topics/linux_linuxhome.htm

Maybe Ronnie should read his company's mail and search their web
resources...

--

Andre Truter
Software Engineer

< The box said: Requires Windows 95 or better...  >
< So I installed Linux                            >