[CLUG-chat] Cheap hardware

Leon Coetzee scratchy at webmail.co.za
Thu Oct 10 14:32:14 SAST 2002

Hello all,

There were a few questions a while back about affordable hardware.

I found a place called Freecom in Montagu Gardens that sell cheap
PC's.
They are apparently old stock, sold to cover losses or something.
There are 486's, PI's, PII's, PIII's etc.

I bought a PII 266Mhz, 64MB RAM, 4 Gig HDD, Internal modem (never used
it, probably a 'Winmodem'), CDROM, Stiffy disk, 14" Monitor, sound
card on motherboard, etc for R3000.00. It also has warranties etc.

The PC was an HP Kayak. I successfully installed SuSE 7.1 on it.
All very happy.

The Monitors are a bit crappy tho'. Quality control, she's not big.
The monitor was a refurbished number... had to send it back 5 times
(kept getting fuzzy).

Look up number in phone book.
Good luck