[CLUG-chat] Linux support in CTN

Andre Truter (Dimension Data) Andre.Truter at za.didata.com
Thu Aug 23 17:03:18 SAST 2001

Hi All,

Just to add my 1 cents too...

I agree with Dale and I use RedHat 7.1 on anything that has a processor and
hard disk.  (i have not gotten around to trying out other distributions -
not enough hours in the day)
I also use Ximian 1.4, Mozilla and StarOffice and I enjoy it!

Unfortunately I have to use Windoze at work for Outlook and Office2000 (In a
large organization you have to abide by some rules).  I run Windoze under
VMWare.

Whenever I can I use StarOffice for documentation.

I think you have to approach Linux with the correct attitude.
You should understand that Linux comes from a sever-focussed environment and
is now moving into the desktop arena.  It has NOT been developed as a
desktop solution or a games platform.
You should also take into account that most applications are developed in
people's free time.

I think you should not view Linux as a replacement for Windows in the sense
that you can replace your windows box and still expect to do the same.
You can do SIMILAR things with Linux.  When you move to Linux you also need
to move your outlook on life - move to a better outlook.  :-)

It is like trading in your Mercedes SLK for a Ferrari. -- Similar, but not
the same.

I really enjoy Linux, but then I am someone who like to fiddle with things
and try out new things - I am also aware of the risk of fiddeling and trying
out new stuff, but Linux take a lot of that risk away.  If I had to do some
of the things on Windows that I do on Linux, I would be re-installing half
of the time.
( Well, I did do it before I started using Linux )

Regards

Andre