[CLUG-chat] Linux support in CTN

Dale Gallagher zoot at zootzone.com
Thu Aug 23 13:30:25 SAST 2001

Hi Hylton

> until I can personally say that Linux is a worthy adversary to Windows.
i.e.
> do what Windows does but provide additional GPL tools. When I can prove
> that my Linux is better than Windows then I will move my Netscape folders
> and files across.

Sounds like you've experienced a combination of a "Nutscrape" portability
issue, with a sprinkle of support blues.  It's a real pitty ... you appear
to be blaming this incident on GNU/Linux too?  Here's my penny's worth ...

I would suggest you do the following ...

Install either Redhat 7.1, Slackware 8.0 (if you don't mind a text based
installation and minor hacking around in config files), or SuSE 7.2.  I've
never used Mandrake, so I cannot comment.  Download Ximian GNOME 1.4
(http://www.ximian.com) or get it from someone on CLUG, for your X desktop
and use Ximian's "Red Carpet" updater to download the latest patches for
your Linux distro and Ximian desktop and find a more stable mail client
than Netscape ... such as Balsa (http://www.balsa.net) or Ximian's
Evolution (First stable release is around the corner), or even Mozilla
Mail.  Then whack on Star Office 5.2 for your office apps :-)

The above combination should change your mind very quickly, together with a
small dose of perseverance.  Hell ... my Mom has been happily using Linux
for over a year now without a problem and she isn't very computer literate
;-)

I personally use the following and seamlessly communicate and share
documents with M$ users.
NOTEBOOK: RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2), Ximian GNOME 1.4 desktop + updates +
Mozilla Browser, Balsa email client + Star Office
SERVER INSTALLATIONS: Slackware 8.0 (kernel 2.4.5), RedHat 7.1 (2.4.5) and
FreeBSD 4.2

good luck!

cheers
Dale