[CLUG-chat] Problems with RedHat 7.1

Andre Truter (Dimension Data) Andre.Truter at za.didata.com
Fri Aug 17 07:50:52 SAST 2001

Hi Vladimir,

I would suggest that you boot the machine with your rescue disk that you
made during installation and then you can edit the lilo.conf file.
You also need to restore the lilo boot partition to what it was in KDE,
before you edit the lilo.conf file.

Win2K probaply uses NTFS, so the installer does not pick it up, you need to
add it yourself.

edit /etc/lilo.conf  (after you made a backup copy of the file)
The file should look someting like this:

--------<snip>----------------------------
boot=/dev/hda
timeout=300
linear
prompt
message=/boot/message
default=linux
vga=normal
read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
 label=linux
 read-only
 root=/dev/hdc5

--------<snip>----------------------------

First, just add the following two lines at the end of the file:

other=/dev/hda1
 label=windoze

This will give you the option to boot Win2K

Now you just run the following command in a terminal:
lilo -v

It should tell you that it added a new entry etc, etc.

When you reboot now, it should give you two options in lilo.

NOTE:  You will see that the 'timeout' value in my example is 300.  This
means that lilo will wait 30 seconds before it will take the default.  I
think this value is by default 50 (5 seconds)  You can change this to give
you more time to select the OS to boot.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Andre