[CLUG-announce] ISOC-ZA Internet Fiesta (March) [FIESTA]

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Fri Jan 14 13:11:01 SAST 2005

Hi SLUG, CLUG, AIMS and SuLUG (and other enthusiasts)

The Internet Society of South Africa (ISOC-ZA) education and outreach
portfolio is organising an Internet Fiesta in South Africa.

The Internet Fiesta aims to demonstrate the need for Internet
connectivity in under-privilaged areas, and to demonstrate to the
underprivilaged what a powerful tool the Internet can be. It is expected
that over a thousand people from local communities will be attending
this event.

We will be providing ISOC-ZA with 50 thin client computers and 2 servers
  for web browsing.

We need volunteers to set up this thin client network, and also assist
the various people who will be using the Internet at the event. The idea
is to show them what the Internet can do, and demonstrate how important
connectivity is.

Food and drinks will be provided, as well as entertainment. It certainly
sounds like there'll be lots of fun, and it will provide a forum (even
though temporary) to get together and discuss the issues relating to
connectivity.

Some details are being confirmed, I will send another message within the
next month with more details. If anyone is interested in assisting with
the setup of the thin client network, please e-mail me at
jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org, and include [FIESTA] in your
subject line so that I can keep track of the messages.

The dates have been confirmed. It will run:
From: Saturday, 19 March 2005 - 11 AM
To: Sunday, 20 March 2005 - 3PM

Venues in Belhar and Langa are being considered.

See you there!
Jonathan

--
Jonathan Carter
The Shuttleworth Foundation - Supporting social innovation
Chat to me on Jabber: highvoltage at jabberafrica.org
Escape mediocrity, try ubuntulinux.org