[CLUG-tech] batch adding users

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata at clug.org.za
Mon Jul 25 13:09:04 SAST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:01, dshaw78 at gmail.com <dshaw78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As someone pretty happy with Puppet that hasn't heard about Chef,
> could you do a quick contrast and compare?

A few things that leap to mind are:

- Puppet has a DSL (that can include some ruby code, but you still have to
learn the DSL)
- Puppet is not deterministic about the order it does things (so you can't
know that it will create a user *before* it installs a package or whatever)
- Puppet has better integration with MCollective (thanks to our very own
R.I. Pienaar)

- Chef recipes can be written in pure ruby, and run like scripts (i.e. in
order)
- Chef has a bunch more tools like knife, and databags, and so on
- The cool kids seem to be using Chef more, so there's a lot of cookbooks
and recipes already written for it, and it is more likely to integrate with
stuff

My cow-orker has written a few posts on the two:
http://nuknad.com/2011/05/10/puppet-lessons-learned/ and
http://nuknad.com/2011/06/03/first-impressions-on-chef/

Cheers,
-Jonathan