[CLUG-chat] OT: fined for copied CDs?!? IP

Marko Vukovic vukko at rouvic.com
Fri Mar 26 16:05:50 SAST 2004

Angelo Zanetti wrote:

> HI all,
>
> apologies for the OT post.
> Last night a friend of mine said that he had heard a story of where at road
> blocks people are being fined for having illegal music CDs-copies.
>
> Firstly is it legal to copy a CD that you or I bought say a Beatles CD? I am
> pretty sure that it is.
> Secondly is it legal to lend someone a CD (say the same Beatles CD or the
> copy)?
>
> If it is illegal to lend someone a CD then how can people and shops resell
> CDs?
>
> is it legal what the traffic officers or whoever is at the road blocks are
> doing?
>
> Also is the CD regarded as intellectual property?

This roadblock story is just another hoax.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=13&art_id=ct20040305205528713H200914&set_id=1

You *are* allowed to make a copy of an original, for your own purposes
though, ie. to safeguard the original.
Did you really think that the cops in SA are really going to check for
CDs in your car? Gullible? ;-P