[CLUG-chat] OT: fined for copied CDs?!? IP

Angelo Zanetti binc2 at ctech.ac.za
Sat Mar 27 15:11:32 SAST 2004

HI all,

apologies for the OT post.
Last night a friend of mine said that he had heard a story of where at road
blocks people are being fined for having illegal music CDs-copies.

Firstly is it legal to copy a CD that you or I bought say a Beatles CD? I am
pretty sure that it is.
Secondly is it legal to lend someone a CD (say the same Beatles CD or the
copy)?

If it is illegal to lend someone a CD then how can people and shops resell
CDs?

is it legal what the traffic officers or whoever is at the road blocks are
doing?

Also is the CD regarded as intellectual property?

Any comments welcome.

Angelo

Disclaimer
This e-mail transmission contains confidential information,
which is the property of the sender.
The information in this e-mail or attachments thereto is
intended for the attention and use only of the addressee.
Should you have received this e-mail in error, please delete
and destroy it and any attachments thereto immediately.
Under no circumstances will the Cape Technikon or the sender
of this e-mail be liable to any party for any direct, indirect,
special or other consequential damages for any use of this e-mail.
For the detailed e-mail disclaimer please refer to
http://www.ctech.ac.za/polic or call +27 (0)21 460 3911