[CLUG-chat] Paying for linux?

Abraham van der Merwe abz at frogfoot.net
Fri Mar 26 14:30:44 SAST 2004

Hi John                                          >@2004.03.26_14:07:41_+0200

> Just wanting to clear sommit up here.
>
> As far as I've always been concerned, linux has always been free and
> always will be free. I can understand that a packaged linux distro can
> be charged for if it comes with manuals and additional software that is
> licensed or whatever, but what about the code etc from these.
>
> Take for example Redhat Enterprise. That is no longer free, or is it -
> but in theory you could still get hold of the source code if you wanted.
>
> Another example would be SuSe and the Novell story -  You can't download
> the ISO's now, but you can still install via ftp off their server (Or
> download the lot and stick onto a DVD)
>
> Is a day likely to come where one cannot just download the latest
> version of any particular unless you pay people money for it ??

Theoretically it is possible, but it is about as likely as finding life on
Venus. There will always be people who want free software and there will
always be people who are willing to help realise that goal(s). Look at the
Debian project. Debian, for instance, will always be free and it is also
becoming more popular as people start realising that the foundations of
the Debian project is solid (i.e. it is not run by a company and therefore
there can never be a conflict of interests between the OSS community and
company X).

Also, even if they do find small green men on Venus and Debian disappear
from planet Earth, most of the Linux software is released under the GPL and
it will therefore always be legal for someone to buy the distribution and
redistribute the bulk of it to the rest of the world at no/little cost.

--

Regards
 Abraham

TODAY the Pond!
TOMORROW the World!
                -- Frogs (1972)

 Abraham vd Merwe - Frogfoot Networks CC
 1st Floor, Albion Springs, 183 Main Road, Newlands
 Phone: +27 21 689 3873 Cell: +27 82 565 4451
 Http: http://www.frogfoot.net/ Email: abz at frogfoot.net