[CLUG-chat] [OT] Piracy? (was Re: [ELUG] An attempt to bringLinux to the general Public)

Mike Morris mike.morris at cocosoft.co.za
Fri Mar 5 09:59:32 SAST 2004

Christiaan Erasmus wrote:

> I also think they have the legal right to enter a premises without a search
> warrant and are allowed to "shame" illegal users publicly.

Nonsense.

Please tell us under what law they may search without a warrant, since
not even the Scorpions may so act.

Furthermore "public shaming" would constitute libel.

A few years ago BSA and MS representatives phoned me to find out why I
had not yet returned their software survey.  I explained that they
should not expect any reply ever, and invited them to hold their breath.
  (Didn't work, unfortunately, did it? :)  They then threatened legal
action should I fail to participate in their survey.

I replied that they were free to send their lawyers to search my
computers for illegal software, provided those lawyers are accompanied
by SAPS officers carrying a legal search warrant, but that under no
circumstances would I participate in any software survey.  (I also
invited these people to send me a survey of the contents of all video
tapes in their homes...)

Still waiting (4 years and counting).

--
mike morris     ::   mike.morris (at) cocosoft . co . za
cOcO software   ::   mike.morris (at) coco-technologies . co . za

----- A day without chillies is a day wasted ------