[CLUG-chat] Wireless LAN with Linux

Angelo Zanetti binc2 at ctech.ac.za
Thu Mar 4 16:31:46 SAST 2004

Hi Eric

802.11b = 11 mbps
802.11g = 54mbps (this standard is backwards compatible so it will work on
an 802.11b access point, but only at a transfer rate of 11mbps)

I have not done this personally but apparently the default security settings
need to be administered and also the encryption WEP is very weak (really
weak) so look at enhancing the encryption, I'm sure someone on the list can
give some apps or something to help with this.

using VPNs will help as well as only allowing certain MAC addresses ( can
someone confirm this?!?)

one last thing (more light hearted) is that if you were listening to a radio
in your office say goodbye cos the wireless signals make it sound really
fuzzy =(

hope this helps

Angelo