[CLUG-chat] RE: OT: Windows Programming Book

Jonathan Groll Jonathan.Groll at indigocosmetics.com
Mon Mar 1 11:00:29 SAST 2004

As Allen said, who else can a man ask and expect the truth,
except the cluggers?

> I need to get back into Windows development...and C++
> Last time I did that I used VC6 and cursed that MFC.

> This time around, I want to code using the Win32 API and I think that
> Programming Windows (5th Ed) by Charles Petzold will help me.

(Possibly ignorant question, pls forgive ignorance ;-)
Just curious why you don't want to learn the .net classes?
It does seem silly to learn something that you know is already redundant!

Also, learning VC++ .net means that you can easily transfer your skills
into C# / mono, learning the classes seems to me to be most of the work,
syntax should follow easily.

Coming from a philosophical linux preference, I know it may sound like
heresy to admit to an interest in C#, but I have to admit that:
1. Microsoft does have the financial muscle to hire the best
   brains in IT, and some of the design features of .net,
   including the common language runtime (CLR) have been
   very well designed.
2. C# has learnt from some of the mistakes of C++/java
   Syntax is elegant (yes I know python,...etc is probably better)
3. If M$ had to state that the mono project will never get sued,
   I will probably embrace it more wholeheartedly.
   It is amazing to me to find that already, there are so many
   OSS developers who had enough interest to start Mono!
   Mono has the potential to be more than just a compatibility thing
   with M$, hopefully eventually it will develop beyond the m$ spec.
   Then, maybe, it will be truly cross platform.
4. Sure you don't have templates / generics (for now), so you may find
   things lacking that you were used to in C++
5. Your skills are more marketable. You can't find C# coders with 5 years
   experience, but you can find C++ coders.

I'd really like to know what you and everyone on the list thinks of ..net?

To put my money where my mouth is, I am after all, plowing some of my
hard-earned caboodle into netscope training me on C#.net! (too lazy / not
enough time to work through tomes). Am I wasting my time?

> PS: Exclusive has Petzold's book for R607! That's quite expensive :(

Surely amazon can do better than that? And if I recall right doesn't
Petzold have a new edition for .net?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

National Brands Limited - Cosmetics Division has changed name to Indigo Cosmetics (Pty) Ltd
with effect from 1st July 2003. (Trading partners will receive a letter to this effect.)
All e-mail addresses change from userid at nblcosmetics.co.za to
 firstname.surname at indigocosmetics.com
The old addresses will remain in force for a short period
so please use them to ascertain the correct new address if you are unsure.

the system manager at postmaster at avi.co.za .

This email may not necessarily reflect the views or intentions of any
of the companies in the Anglovaal Industries Group.

Please report email abuse to: abuse at avi.co.za

Please report email abuse to: abuse at avi.co.za